If you read my post about my parent-in-law's garden, you'll know that I'm surrounded by an abundance of greenery + fruit while at their house. This time around, there's so much citrus and basil that I decided to create some sort of cocktail that incorporated both. With the help of Nicholas--my own personal mixologist!--we created this Orange & Basil Fizz. It's extremely refreshing and tastes lovely. The basil is an unexpected twist and works well with the citrusy flavor. This cocktail would be perfect for an afternoon fête or perhaps a late-morning brunch. Either way, the Orange & Basil fizz is fairly simple to make and will leave your guests wanting more!
The Orange & Basil Fizz
Makes one cocktail.
- 1 ounce of vodka. We used Grey Goose.
- Fresh squeezed orange juice. I squeezed half an orange.**
- Basil. About 3 sprigs to muddle and 1 sprig for garnish
- 2 ounces of sparkling water
- A healthy dash of sugar or honey for sweetening
- A splash of cranberry juice as a topper (this is called lacing)
- Tear basil into small pieces and place in a mixing shaker. Muddle with sugar and one cube of ice.
- Add crushed ice half way up the glass.
- Add vodka to the glass (preferably a tall glass!)
- Add contents of the mixing shaker into the glass.
- Add sparkling water and finish with a splash of cranberry.
- Garnish with the sprig of basil.
**Before I left New York, I noticed how many blood oranges were in-store. They would make a great substitute if you couldn't find good oranges around you.